A classic Italian soup that is packed with vegetables, tastes devine and can be modified to suit individual taste.
Ingredients (serves 6-8):
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, cubed
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup Kent pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 x 420g can cannellini beans or chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1.5L Vegetable stock or 1.5L water and stock cubes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 slices multigrain sourdough bread & parmesan cheese to serve.
1. Heat up the oil in a large saucepan or pressure cooker. Sauté the leek, then add all the vegetables. 2. Add the stock, bring it to the boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer stirring occasionally. With pressure cooker just place the lid on, when it whistles, reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes. 3. Simmer until the vegetables are soft. 4. Serve with a slice of sourdough bread and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
- Mix it up, add any veggie you like.
- Spice it up, add some turmeric, cumin, curry powder or your favourite spice.
Nutrition information (per serve): 1267-1500kJ, 32-39g carbohydrates, 17-20g protein, 8-10g fat.